Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't see the answer you're looking for, or have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us!
When can I apply to join DMCRT?
- The recruitment period for the following school year begins in the winter semester in January and February. Applications are due in February / March and interviews are conducted in the spring. Find us at the Society and Volunteer Expos throughout the year or email us to be added to the mailing list. In 2015, DMCRT received over 110 applications from enthusiastic and highly qualified students!
How do I apply?
- Once the application session opens, students are asked to submit their resume, a cover letter and additional St John Ambulance forms. Applicants are interviewed by the Executive. Offers are made by the end of the winter semester.
Do I need prior training to join DMCRT?
- No prior training is required to be a part of DMCRT! Although many of our applicants have Standard First Aid or other certification, it is not mandatory. DMCRT provides successful applicants with all the necessary certifications required to be a member of the team.
Do I need to be in a certain program to apply?
- Any Dalhousie student, regardless of program or faculty, can apply to be a member of DMCRT. Our current team consists of students in medical school, science, engineering, social sciences, music and many other disciplines!
What certification do the members of DMCRT hold?
- Our volunteer medical responders (VMRs) have Advanced Medical First Response - 1 training, which takes 40 hours to complete. Our Mental Health Volunteers (MHVs) have Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Mental Health First Aid and sexual assault training from Avalon Sexual Assault Centre.
Is DMCRT always available on campus to provide first aid?
- At the moment, DMCRT only provides coverage at events, not 24 hour on call response. If you are interested in having DMCRT at your event, please request service!
What can I expect if DMCRT is at our event?
- Depending on the size of the event, DMCRT provides at least one team of 3 - 4 VMRs, including one Duty Supervisor. We bring 2 trauma kits, portable oxygen, an AED as well as potentially a backboard, if the location does not have one easily accessible. In addition, each VMR carries their own first aid kit.